Monday, August 01, 2005

I'm back!

Back from Utah and completely pooped. I just spent 5 days dancing from morning until way past night and about 31 hours total driving through some of the good ol' USA's most boring states. Because I devoted an entire week to the BYU dance camp, I decided that I should at least give some of the highlights. First off, I was quite impressed by all of the instructors: Pierre Allaire and Mireille Veilleux, Jean Marc Genereux and France Mousseau, Hunter and Maria Johnson, and Ron Montez. I think Maria was my favorite instructor especially since my awesome boyfriend succeeded in surprising me with a private lesson with her for our waltz! (For those of you who don't know, this is particularly impressive because I have been able to sniff out all of his previous surprises.)

While the dancing and socializing was fun, there were some non-dance related things that I found interesting. Since the camp was hosted by BYU, we had to follow the university's rules including not showing our knees, shoulders, or drinking caffeine. I tried to follow these as well as I could out of respect, but I found that because I was told I could not do certain things, I wanted them more. For example, I'm not a big caffeine drinker at all, but once I was at BYU I suddenly craved the option for pop. Kinda weird how that works.

So to sum this blog up I thought I would ask a question. To people who have done ballroom dancing, do you remember what you thought it was before you started? And for people who have not done ballroom dancing (yet) what do you think it is? I have found that many people don't really know all that it encompasses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a person who has never, nor ever intends to participate in ballroom dancing, I would guess that it is something of a combination of performing within an orchestra, running long distance, attending a wedding, playing chess, and (most importantly) the feeling you get after a whole day filled with things such as a lake-side picnic, an absolutely nutty and hilarious game played with friends, watching a breath-taking sunset, and a romantic dinner.
As goes with the playing of any instrument, there is a great deal of discipline, rhythm, posture, and grace involved. These attributes specifically are to what I refer. Running long distance has long been a well-used form of exercise as well as requiring determination and stamina. There are few occasions aside from a wedding when all in attendance are in thoroughly formal wear, not to mention a certain traditional feeling in the air. With respect to chess, I am referring to the deep concentration needed, foresight to predict what the next best move might be, and the ability to adapt. Finally, what point is there in dancing without feeling happy about it? Oftentimes the joy we feel has very little to do with what we are doing, but rather with whom we are accompanied. As has always been, emotion is the determining factor in nearly all aspects of art; and as ballroom dancing is most assuredly artistic, there can be no doubt of its great impact.

Anonymous said...

Hi Samantha! Well, I am going to leave a much less thought-out response than the first person. I think there are two main reasons that I don't ballroom dance. The first is that my stupid boyfriend who I wish would read this so he would know how stupid he is refuses to, and I just don't have much interest in dancing with anyone else. The second is just a major lack of self-confidence. Since I have now lost 40 lbs and counting the latter is on its way to being remedied, but I don't think anyone can change the stupid boyfriend. :P

This is Carrie, by the way. I can't wait to see you when we move back in!