Monday, August 01, 2005

Epiphany!

So I had a random theory occur to me as I was walking from work today... For some reason I was thinking about the fact that a lot of engineers and other science related people tend to act immaturely on occasion if not all of the time. I included myself in this statement, and then I began to ponder the reasons. I then reminded myself how I try not to forget what it's like to be a kid because kids are some of the most intelligent people I know. They haven't yet learned to think "realistically" and therefore are prone to more creative solutions and ideas. Then I put the two thoughts together and concluded that people who enjoy scientific fields are probably more in tune with their creative side which could be tied to still being a kid inside which leads to being immature at times. I have no proof, but I could be on to something here...

As an example provided by my roommate tonight, who happens to also be a computer engineer, he demonstrated how he can toss grapes in the air and catch them in his mouth and then we proceeded outside to see how high he could throw and catch them. Ahh, such fun.

5 comments:

Jason said...

I'm glad to see you didn't name names, or condemn those who are in touch with their childish sense of humors (although immature seems a bit harsh). I see no reason to act civilized and boring on a consistent basis. If the situation calls for it, that's fine. Otherwise, I will try to remain as lively as possible.

What was your height record on the grapes?

Anonymous said...

A thought...

The reason that engineers, A.K.A. geeks, are rather "immature" is more a quality that allows them to try things that no one else dares to. Things are often silly, frowned upon, dangerous, or pointless; so the general public avoids them. Geeks care not about this whatsoever so they are able to accomplish great things. As an example: I don't know a single geek on the planet who would not want to act like these guys.

... simply by attaching this link, I might whatch the seasons on DVD double in sales.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for including science nerds in your creative geekfest! It's not just engineers who have to come up with creative solutions. Vets see some pretty bizarre problems, and if you only play by what you learned in your big fat text books I think you're probably doing your patient a disservice in the long run.

Samantha said...

Ok, so maybe using the the specific word "immature" to describe actions seems a bit misleading in retrospect. What I meant by it was pretty much what Jason posted; the ability to do things that "proper" society doesn't always dictate as grown up. While I can schmooze with the best of them, I agree that life would be boring without people throwing caution to the wind and acting like kids.

As for the grapes, I think Jordan (my roommate) was throwing them as high as the second floor balcony, and if you're keeping record, he caught 2 out of 3.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,

I think you are onto something here ;-) Of course, looking at the folks who help out at the Forest, we are all a bit crazy. I think limiting to engineers and scientists may be a bit too narrow of a group. We have a lot of musicians out at the forest, auto junkies, and of course - kids! (High school age, we don't let little ones around).

All of these people have jobs that require a lot of creativity just to get along, and to some extent could be considered engineers of sorts, but I honestly beleive that people who 'grow up' die sooner.

-- I