Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Work Jams

You like music, right? I mean, who doesn't? Music is great in the car, at home, at a party, at a bbq, while shopping, while eating. It's great anytime! It is even great at work. The problem at work is that you have to play nice with your co-workers and not distract them, so you have to wear headphones of some sort so you don't interfere with their productivity. My main problem with headphones is that I don't want to know that I'm wearing them. I don't want to feel them over my ears, and I definintly don't want to remember they are on by a sudden jerk when I try to go past the cable's length. Of course you can use wireless headphones, but ideally I could just jam "out loud" so I didn't have to shell out money for a nice pair.

What I want is music piped throughout my work space. It would be awesome to have a daily playlist (and I don't mean like the radio) to work to. I want to share the musical experience with my cube neighbors and be energized or relaxed through my ears. I want to be able to stand up and take a dance break to a good beat without getting my head jerked back. Being open to all kinds of music, I'd also like to know what my co-workers like to listen to just to switch it up.

Taking it one step further into less realistic territory, an out-of-the-box corporate benefit would be to hire a private DJ for the company. I can't take credit for this idea, Ryan actually mentioned it first. It's a fun concept though, and it could be personalized by mixing employee favorites. Until then, or until I get wireless headphones, I'll be getting whiplash.

No comments: